Monday, April 18, 2011

Welp it's the End!

It’s hard to believe we are already at the end of the road. It is amazing how far we have all come and developed as future teachers. Coming into this class I was not sure how much I was really into being in a regular education classroom, but now looking back I know my opinions about teaching and the teaching of English have very much changed. All of my teaching courses (not just this one) have given me the ants in my pants feeling. I’m ready to get out there and be the best teacher I am able.
Throughout this semester the strategies we have learned from each other have been very beneficial. Not only have we learned from Dr. Shannon but from our fellow future teachers. One of the main teaching strategies I have learned in this class is the idea of creative grouping. There are so many ways to group students so that they are always working with different peers. Another thing I have learned is to never ask your students to act out; they may take it to the next level (thank you Andrew). Most importantly I have learned that discussion can be a very beneficial tool in teaching. It is a great way to assess your students to see what they know, but to also see what your students can learn from each other. (I know I’m about to contradict myself but…..) We also need to make sure we don’t discussion the students to death (sorry guysL)
I am going to take away a lot from the discussion leader and groups teach assignments. I learned that teaching takes a lot more preparation than one would think. You can’t just jump into a lesson without doing hours of prep time as well as hours of reflection time.
I have toughly enjoyed this class and all of its little quirks. J

1 comment:

  1. This class made me so excited to teach too! I can't wait to get through next year and actually be out in the field. Four years is a long time to wait for something we are all so passionate about doing.

    ReplyDelete